LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Friday, August 16, 2013

Should I wish upon a star, I would wish for…


I like a lot of things about the Snap. But are there things it needs to be better? Damn straight. It needs:

To  be able to talk to the Dex G-4 CGM transmitter.

It also needs a meter that talks to it. It would be even better if several different meters talked to it.

It needs to accept a Novolog penfill. Humalog is “off formulary” on many health plans. Including mine.

It needs download capability to a computer. Not for the pumpers, we never bother, but our educators and doctors like to do it.

It needs a brown leather belt case.

All things I’m told Asante is working on. Except the brown leather case.

I also wish they’d fix the few bone-headed menu items we talked about, although the more I used it, the more I got used to how it’s laid out, and I developed workarounds to compensate. Still, I shouldn’t have had to do that. Why couldn’t the entire menu order be user programmable? Like those online surveys where you slide things into the order that’s most important to you. It would let each pumper personalize the Snap’s controls in a way that made the most sense to him or her. No two of us use our pumps the same way. Our diabetes varies. Our diabetes “control” modus operandi varies. Our pumps should be variable, or at least customizable, too.

And to make it the “perfect” pump it also needs:

Basal programing that automatically changes by day of the week.

Corrections that intensify with altitude of blood sugar. I guarantee you that the correction factor that works to fix a blood sugar of 200 won’t be enough to fix a 400.

IOB needs to be on the home screen, along with a time/percentage remaining indicator.

We need an easy place to look up when the next body site change should happen.

It needs faster BGL scrolling, or the ability to scroll BGL numbers by fives.

It needs a well-written and funny user’s manual.

And lastly, it needs a data base of pictures of naked mermaids and cheerleaders. Because who wouldn’t want that?

But other than all of that, it’s a pretty damn good package.


Next week: So will I keep it?




3 Comments:

Blogger Bernard said...

Wil, how would you compare it overall versus the t:slim?

11:28 AM  
Blogger DetroiterInNYC said...

I am testing the Asante Snap now (in NE market) and I agree with every one of your comments.

Do any pumps allow for insulin correction factors based on BG level?

The bg scrolling should either go faster period, get progressively faster the longer you hold it down or go in fives.

Especially when your BG is sky high, and you are pissed off, you just get even more angry waiting for the number to scroll to a billion or whatever it happens to be! And being POed will lead to stress hormones which will keep your BG high. Such is the life of a T1 Pumper.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Mark Estes said...

Stay tuned. I think you will really like what we have cooking in the Asante kitchen.

Mark Estes, the boneheaded snap engineer.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home