LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Wednesday, August 07, 2013

More real math


Snap won’t let me set a 65% temp rate, damn it. It’s making me choose between 63% and 69%. WTF?

Being the insulin-pumping super genius that I am, and being equipped with the latest and greatest in precision pumping equipment, I of course know exactly what I need in this temp rate: and I need precisely 65%. For those of you who have not had enough French Roast this morning, I’m being both facetious and sarcastic here. As we discussed the other day, the precision of our gear is bad, and the precision of our brains is still worse.

Unlike two days ago, today scientific precision is my enemy. Here’s the deal. Snap temp rates can only be set in 0.05-unit increments. So for instance, you could set a temp rate at 0.45u, 0.50u, 0.55u, 0.60u per hour and so forth. Right now, my basal flow is 0.8 units per hour. To get an actual 65% temp rate would require a 0.52 units per hour flow rate. Opps! Snap can’t do that. So I have to choose between rounding down to 0.5u (which would be the 63% temp rate); or rounding up to 0.55u (which would be the 69% temp rate).


So this time Snap is being precise and honest. And frankly, I’m finding that a huge pain in the ass. Life is hard enough without having to re-think everything I’ve done. Most likely, the other pumps let me enter my fantasy temp rate and just round it either up or down under the hood without telling me that’s what they are doing.

And I’m fine with that.

While I understand the purity of math from the engineering perspective, for me this is just one more reminder that I’m swimming in a sea of uncertainty, and that nothing is as real as I’d like to pretend it is.

Just give me my frickin’ 65%! Sometimes being in the dark is a good thing.


Tomorrow: Size really does matter



1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Hoskins said...

This post made my brain hurt. Don't. Like. D-Math. Just to compensate, I'm going to SWAG something like an insulin dose.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home