LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Thursday, August 08, 2013

Mine is bigger than yours is


Mine is bigger than yours is

Men spend a lot of time comparing sizes. Who has the bigger salary. Who caught the bigger fish. Whose wife has the bigger breasts. And who has the longer… well, you know. So guys, my infusion set tubing is longer than yours is.

But the funny thing is, I actually thought the opposite was true until I whipped out my handy Stanley 12’ measuring tape this morning.

Here’s the deal: I could have sworn that my previous pump could lie on the floor when I’m standing up naked. OK, that’s probably too much information, but I actually have a point to make here. The Snap pump doesn’t quite make it to the floor from my infusion site. It dangles just a hair above, and pulls on the site.

If you’ve never worn a pump, the sensation of having your site tugged on is an odd one. It doesn’t generally hurt (unless a doorknob grabs the tube while you are moving past it at high speed), but it’s an uncomfortable sensation. Some of it might be more mental than physical. Like when a scuba diver sees bubbles gushing from a shark-severed air hose: Yeah, he’s still breathing for the moment, but he knows it’s not for long. In the same way, our infusion set is our lifeline. Don’t tug on a man’s lifeline.

Now in case you didn’t know it, pretty much all the infusion sets in the world are actually made by the same company, Unomedical, who re-packages them as the various brands we all know. Snap’s are made at Unomedical’s plant in Mexico. Well, that’s not quite right. The Snappers in the Sunnyvale, California, plant make the prism/hub connectors and then send them down to Mexico where Unomedical attaches them to standard infusion tubing and sets, packages them up, and sends them back up to the states. Gotta love the global aspects of diabetes.

The Snap sets come in angled or in 90-degree cannulas, both short and long. The tubing comes in either 43 inch or 23 inch. The 90-degree sets come with the popular disposable “hockey puck” inserter. The angled sets are the manually inserted kind, which is a pity, as I had been using the Inset 30s which have an extremely clever disposable inserter. It’s not that I’m a wimp about inserting an infusions set by hand, but this is easier, faster, more precise, and since I’ve been using them, I’ve had fewer kinked cannulas.

Now… where was I? Oh yes. Because my pump wouldn’t hit the floor, I began wondering if someone was trying to shave a few shekels off the production cost by cheating me of an inch or two.

Thus the Stanley tape measure today.

And guess what? My Snap tubing is a full 44 inches long. I got a bonus inch.

The Inset tubing for my Tandem? 42 inches. They cheated me of an inch, damn them.

But wait a sec, you say, with a full two spare inches and a longer pump to boot, why on earth are you having pump-flat-on-the-floor-while-naked issues? I have no idea. Maybe I’m placing the sets a bit higher on my stomach. Maybe I’m standing up straighter. Maybe I’m naked with the pump on the floor so rarely that I was mistaken in the first place.

But one thing’s for sure. I’m two inches longer than the guy with the Tandem pump.



Next time: Dropping Kittens.


1 Comments:

Blogger George said...

I need every inch. I hate my tubing pulling. It feels awful.

I usually have my pump in my pocket but it is snaked through my a hole in my pocket, down the bottom of my boxers, up through to the infusion site on my stomach. A long journey but the best one for me. so with that, every inch matters.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home