LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Monday, November 19, 2012

Late


“All things being equal, diabetes-wise anyway, I much prefer to travel by car, bus, or train. Flying in the post-9/11 world is a pain in the ass.”

--Beyond Fingersticks


What did the stupid rabbit say in the 1951 Disney version of Alice? “I’m late! I’m late! For a very important date! No time to say hello, goodbye! I’m late! I’m late! I’m late!” In the actual book he apparently said: “Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!”

God only knows what Disney will do to my writing when I’m dead (hard to imagine, isn’t it?) and apologies to Lewis Carroll’s ghost, but I actually think I like the Disney version better on this quote.

So I’m late to post today, and some of you were probably wondering if I’m marooned on a deserted island, or what. No, the truth is both more interesting and more frustrating. I’ve been marooned at San Francisco International Airport. Better than an island, but no Ginger and Mary Anne to keep me company—vote by comments men and lesbians—which Gilligan’s Island co-star would you rather have been marooned with? Oh and I didn’t ask you ladies and gay men, because there’s only one clear choice among the male stars for each of you.

From Alice in Wonderland, to stuck at an airport, to sex. All in under 200 words. Damn, I’m on a roll this morning.

Anyway, I’ve got a travel story or two for you about the Dexcom G4 and airport security, but it’s not written yet. That will have to wait for another day or two while I catch up on the millions things that didn’t get done while I was off on my travels. The problem with working 80 hours per week is that if you go somewhere for three days and get stuck somewhere for another day in route home, getting caught back up with your various responsibilities is nearly hopeless.

So today, I invite you to visit Diabetes Mine, where Amy just posted my summary review of the G-4 to date. It’s a bit more of a global look and there’s no sex or swearing, so you can even read it to your kids. The post summarizes what I think the strong, weak, and pointless points are, and answers the most important question: Should I get out my wallet?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mike Hoskins said...

Sorry you got stranded. Great wrapup post on your G4 impressions. Gives me much to think about as I mull whether I'm going to buy one, once the first of the year rolls around.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Scott Powell said...

Don't be afraid of flying, just become a pilot yourself. Honest, there will be small general aviation airports closer to your destination than the major ones are, and no need to deal with the TSA.

Scott

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home