LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Friday, April 20, 2012

Truth is truth. That’s what my Mom says, anyway

I was worried. So I called my mother. Who told me my recent posts were one of the best suspense-thrillers she’s read in years.

Yeah, too bad it isn’t fiction, Mom. But I’m having some real ethical issues writing about this, I told her.

She asked me what the fuck I was talking about. (Mom might spend too much time reading my stuff, it’s affected her language.)

So I started babbling. How I don’t want to scare people. How I really believe that the mySentry system and Med-T’s CGM sensors are really awesome. How I know that, overall, their pumps are sound. How I can’t imagine what the hell is going on. How I was afraid that in reporting my experiences, I might bias people against a good system. And yet, if I white wash the troubles I’m having, how wouldn’t be true to my mission, either.

Now remember that my mother was a Walter Cronkite-era print journalist. “Truth is truth,” she told me. “Your readers are counting on you to tell the truth, even if you don’t like doing it. That’s what journalists do.”

Yeah, well, I’m really a blogger, so I’m not sure that’s the same.

My Mom snorted. “Given the state of journalism nowadays, I think you bloggers are the only real journalists left. Look, everyone is counting on your to tell the story the way it happens. You don’t have any choice. And I think you are doing a wonderful job of it, dear.”

Thanks, Mom. I guess sometimes, truth does hurt.

But, yeah. Truth is truth.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leighann of D-Mom Blog said...

I think you are doing a wonderful job of it, too.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Pearlsa said...

Best advice ever "Truth is truth" I second what Leighann said, you are doing a wonderful job. :-)

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home