LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Thinking more about lighting and saints

I am freaking the fuck out. What next? Will I be canonized? I mean, come on, three pump failures in a row??? What are the odds? Med-T pumps just aren’t that bad. This is all too crazy to be true.

I’m beginning to feel paranoid.

Of course crazy things happen all the time. Wind set up an insane oscillation on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge that caused it to collapse back in the 40s. The de Havilland Comets crashed in the 50s because the shape of her windows made them more likely to fail—always a bad thing in a pressurized airliner at 36,000 feet. More recently, the drug Ambien has caused people to get up in their sleep and drive naked to 7-11 for a microwave burrito, return home safely, go back to bed, and wake the next morning (refreshed) with no memory of the incident.

So I’m just sayin’, crazy shit does happen. Why, Apple nearly floundered not that long ago; and is now the biggest company in the world. Richer than fucking Exxon Mobil.

But I’ve had 3 brand new Med-T pumps fail in a row. That. Just. Really. Doesn’t. Happen.

I mean, have you ever heard of it happening? Don’t you think you would have heard of it happening if it did?

So what’s going on? Sabotage? Did Animas, OmniPod, or Roche get wind of my impending review and bribe the UPS man to put a big magnet on top of my inbound packages? (Now that I think of it, that guy does look a little shifty…) I very much doubt it, but it would make a great short story if I decide to dip my pen into fiction again!

I don’t believe in hexes, Voodoo dolls, or black magick. I’m open minded about aliens and the Loch Ness Monster, but I don’t see how either of those could be effecting my insulin pumps (Bad Nessie! Bad girl!). I’m not an idiot who doesn’t know how to work a pump. I’ve been using this style of infusion sets for years on my CoZmo—yes, Med-T makes a Luer lock version for non-Medtronic pumps. Sunspots would affect everybody, not just me. And I don’t live in a toxic dump. Near a nuclear power plant. Or work in an MRI lab.

I can’t see how I’m any different from any other pump user, except for, you know… my good looks, charm and wit, and flare with a pen. But that shouldn’t cause pump problems.

I’m just the same as everybody…. Actually… you know…. I just had a horrible thought.

About what might be happening. About how I might just be different.

But…

But…

But… well… I’ve got a Sentry linked to the pump. And not one, but two meters. Sounds crazy—but I wonder if anyone tested that particular configuration?

Surely Med-T tested Sentry with one meter five ways to Sunday. Would they have thought to test the system with two?

Could it make any possible difference?

I wouldn’t think so. But stranger technical gremlins have happened. At least I think they have. Could one extra piece of gear cause a software glitch? Cause Motor Errors? Or cause the alarm for an Motor Error to go off even without a real motor problem present? A false alarm?

Nah. Probably not.

But three pumps! In a row! Really? Seems too crazy to be true. And I don’t think I’m crazy.

Of course, if this keeps up, I might get there soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike Hoskins said...

Dude, I love your writing!

This sounds incredibly frustrating, and I too would be paranoid. (sidenote: Yes, I'd totally buy a fictional tale about a UPS man hired as a hitman to sabotage insulin pumps since another "hacking" conspiracy didn't pan out...)

Interesting question... I truly hope that Med-T tested that scenario. But who knows. Maybe an answer will soon show itself. Hope the next pump version works without fail.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Scott E said...

Don't be so quick to absolve the UPS guy of responsibility. I'm convinced they're like my local newspaper carrier... they slow down just enough to toss the package out of the truck to (hopefully) land on or near the doorstep. Handle with care, my ass.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home