LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Regrets

OK. So today I’m calmer. Still pissed. But, you know. Getting over it. Not to say I’m going to let it go. I still think Med-T needs to stand behind each and every pump individually.

Anyway, today I was tidying up my computer’s desktop when I found this:


It’s the original cover design for my CGM book. It got dropped in favor of the blood cell/Kanji cover you’ve all seen—it was judged to better fit the underlying “Art of War” Oriental flavor of the text. I think there was also some trouble using the slightly wavy type font on the page footers on each page. Apparently there’s a law somewhere that says the cover font and the foot font have to match.

Still, looking at this today I found it quite striking. I kinda wish we’d gone with it instead. I like that retro-future look.

What do you all think? Vote via comments: Do you like this version, or the version that went to press better? And I’m gonna steal a move from Amy T’s playbook and offer an incentive to bride you to vote: If you leave a comment today, I’ll put your name in a hat, and let Rio draw one at random. The winner gets a limited edition Hard Cover version of Beyond Fingersticks.


No pump alarms today.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mike Hoskins said...

I like them both, but think I'm on the same page (ha!) as you as far as liking the retro-future look. But the blood cell/Kanji cover presents a little more intrigue and makes the casual eye wonder about its meaning and significance to what's inside. The hand is pretty clear-cut and self-explanatory. Anyhow, think it's great either way! Currently on Chapter 9 of my e-version on my Droid's Kindle app.

8:31 AM  
Blogger laura said...

I like the blood cell. The other one says to me that Thing has diabetes. And I think the motor errors are caused en route, not by shifty UPS guy, but during a normal daily procedure that happens to place the box next to a big magnet trophy given for the “Most Magnetic” at last year’s company picnic. I guess that's two votes.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I like the one that went to print better! Either way, it's an awesome book!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Scott E said...

Personally, I think "Secrets to Success" is more compelling than the "Art of Control". The former is more empowering, while the latter (cover design as well as the subtitle) conjures up the thought that CGMs work more on unpredictable magic, without real scientific reasoning behind it. I admit the one that was published is more artistic, but that's not quite what I'm looking for in a book on how to use a CGM. (Which, as I mentioned in my own blog post earlier today, I plan to order really soon...)

3:05 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I like the concept of the hand better but not the actual hand on the cover you included. That one kinda scares me. There's something oddly futuristic/creepy about it. A "normal" hand would be my choice.

7:45 PM  
Blogger MC said...

I really like the hand. It looks like an avatar. Now that would be totally cool, SIM DIABETES! That reminds me of those little Tomagochi (sp?) toys a few years back that required you to push buttons every so often or the little animated pixel creature got sick and died. Those things were uncannily similar to a blood sugar meter.

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home