LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Now what?

I’m sick of pump failures and pump alarms.

I’m sick of writing about pump failures and pumps alarms.

I’m sick of even thinking about pump failures and pump alarms.

You’re probably sick of reading about my pump failures and my pump alarms, too.

Let’s talk about something else… So... Some weather we’re having, huh?

Oh fuck. The only thing to talk about is what’s happening. So did I call the HelpLine after yesterday’s fiasco?

No. Frankly, what’s the point? They’ll replace it, I’m sure. Probably with another used one. I don’t think I’ve raised a big enough stink over their replacement policy to have changed it yet. And it would come by next day mail. And by now I’d be able to program it drunk at the bottom of a coal mine at midnight during an eclipse. But then it would start shedding motor errors within days.

Pre-cognition sucks. Particularly when you don’t like the future.

So now what? The stand-alone CGM monitor called Guardian doesn’t talk to the Sentry, and like Revel, Guardian suffers from a petite little voice. The best alarms in the world won’t help me if they are too low for me to hear them at night.

I’ve considered neutering Revel. Metaphorically ripping out its life-sustaining insulin system and just using it as a upgraded Guardian, and breaking out the CoZmo again to get insulin reliably into my body. But that’s back to multiple devices that don’t talk to each other. It’s a patch work. Not a system.

To be honest, I don’t know what I’m going to do. I’ve put a new infusion set on today, a couple of hours ago. So far so good, but every time this little fucker vibrates for some perfectly valid reason, I nearly jump of my skin.

I guess I’ll let it ride a bit. See if the plague of Motor Errors continues, worsens, or abates.

And then we’ll see what we see.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott E said...

Whatever the problem is, it won't go away by itself. And even if it does, the fear that it's not really gone will linger.

I'd say your best bet is to press for info from Medtronic on what they found with the handful of returned pumps. They're supposed to open them up and find out what caused the failure, right? Especially after the third time, I doubt they just throw them in the trash (or polish them up and re-sell them).

Personally, I was hoping that there was a production problem with the manufacture of new pumps, and that your refurb wouldn't have the problem... apparently no such luck.

But they should have investigated those units to see what caused the motor errors.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Laddie said...

You'd think that someone at Medtronic must be losing sleep over the famous diabetes blogger on his 4th pump due to motor errors. If I were pump shopping right now, I'd be having second thoughts over ordering another Revel pump.

It seems to me that it has to be one of two things. Either Med-T has a big batch of really bad pumps. But since the newest one is refurbished, one would think it's from a different production lot.

The second thing to investigate is how are you different from other customers. Do you live under industrial power lines or over a mother lode of magnetic iron?

Another weird question might be "Does this have anything to do with the Sentry?" It seems to me that the Sentry is just a communication device so it shouldn't affect the motor. But maybe the pump uses so much energy with the constant communication that there is a glitch in the power to the motor.

Hopefully smarter minds than me are investigating your problem.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My!! I've had the revel pump for about a year now and not a problem at all! In fact my only problem is how to set all those settings. I just turned off the predictive alarms for the last 6 months. I'm pretty sensitive to any changes happening to my levels internally...And I've had nothing but great service! I got a pump sent to me on Christmas Eve, in 12 hours, so I could spend the Christmas Day with my Army Boy back from Iraq in another city without any problems! I so sorry it's not been good for you! I also would like to know what was wrong with those last pumps.....

Ressy

2:27 PM  
Blogger laura said...

Is Medtronic trying to replicate the error? Surely by now someone is working on it?

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home