LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Saturday Share #15

Doing my part to keep internet diabetes information fun and accurate I’ve been two-timing my blog by answering reader’s questions over at Sharecare as one of their “Experts.”

I’m having a blast, and I’ve decided that every week I’m going to share one of my favorite questions with you here.


Sharecare Question: Can drinking beer lower blood sugar?


My “Expert” answer: Using beer monotherapy to control blood sugar has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. :-)

Drinking beer can lower your blood sugar, especially if you drink a lot of it, but not in the way you want it too. If you really tie one on, not that I’m recommending it, your blood sugar will definitely drop. The problem is that it will drop 6-10 hours downstream when you are sleeping it off. Depending on what other meds you are on for your diabetes, it might even drop you low enough to kill you.

In the mean time, before your blood sugar drops so low that you die, your sugar will actually go up because beer has quite a few carbohydrates. Let’s face it, a can of beer is just a fermented bowl of oatmeal, after all.

But assuming you don’t drink enough to kill yourself, drinking a lot of beer can actually make your diabetes worse because beer has a lot of calories, which can make you fat, which can make your insulin resistance worse, which will make your blood sugars higher, which will kill you very slowly instead.

Don’t get me wrong. Sorry wives of beer drinkers: your newly diabetic husband can still have his beer. But like anything else with diabetes, moderation is the key.

So don’t overdo it. Remember that too much alcohol is a recipe for too low blood sugar. Enjoy all that life has to offer, just enjoy it in moderation.

Cheers!


You can check out other Expert’s answers to this question, and my answers to many more questions by going here:

http://www.sharecare.com/user/william-lee-dubois

Then select the “Answers” tab near the top left.






4 Comments:

Anonymous Amalas said...

I have never ever ever had beer lower my blood sugar. Don't forget beer has carbs (I guess around 12-25 depending on lager vs. ale etc). I always struggle with highs after drinking beer.

Now wine and mixed drinks on the other hand, definite problems with lows.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVE your blunt honesty...the "fat" statement...and the "can kill you" - are the best!

Thanks for the education Wil...Joe won't, well hopefully won't, be drinking for quite a few years. I always appreciate any and all information to better prepare myself in how to educate him for certain situations that may arise in his future.

Have a great w/e!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Bernard said...

What about Guinness? Lower alcohol content, though I think the calories are a lot higher. Here's my gratuitous Guinness video pointer.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Tracy Portner said...

yes. the operative word here is moderation.

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home