LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Calling all cars . . .

OK, well, not cars. It just had a better ring to it than “calling all diabetics and persons with diabetes.”

Here’s the deal. I want to talk to Oprah. But like Wonderwoman and Supergirl; her number is unlisted. And so is her address. Go figure. It’s not like her phone would ring off the hook and she’d be buried in junk mail. Oh. Wait. She would, wouldn’t she?

So about the only way I’ve found to get a hold of Oprah is the contact form on her web site where you, no shit, are limited to 2,000 characters. Not words. 2,000 letters, spaces, and punctuation marks. Of course Oprah is not reading the flood of 2,000-character missives that arrive at her headquarters hourly.

She has people for that.

And statically, at least some of these people gotta have diabetes, right? I’ve tried emailing several times. My wife has tired. My doctor has tired. My mother has tried, probably more than once.

But like the statues on Easter Island; Oprah remains silent.

So why do I want to talk to Oprah? Actually I don’t care if I ever “talk” to Oprah. I just want Oprah to read my book The Born-Again Diabetic. I think if I can get it into her hands, she will recognize what it can do for patients. And then, maybe, she might, you know, spread the word or something.

So in my first (and hopefully last) use of the D-blogosphere for personal gain I have a request: I am asking, pleading, begging all of you who found value in my book to email Oprah. Maybe if a hundred people shout under the window one voice will get through.

At Oprah.com there are show idea links, magazine idea links, website idea links, and one asking if you’ve spotted a celebrity lately. Huh. But it seemed to me like the most logical link is at Oprah’s Book Club, where the question is asked: What are you reading this summer?

Here is the link:

https://www.oprah.com/plugform.jsp?plugId=2096236&referer=http://www.oprah.com/pluglist.jsp?teamTypeName=TOWS

You might want to cut and paste rather than try to re-type that puppy by eye.

And thanks in advance to all of you who take the time to help me out on this!

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott S said...

Will, you should probably try reaching the "Big O" via someone with contacts ... consider Hollywood booking agents, other celebrities' agents, etc. Otherwise, the request is likely to be lost in a pile of 50,000 other requests!

4:24 PM  
Blogger kevin said...

Perhaps more people would be on board if they knew a little more about CGM...here's a link to a video from icyou.com (i work for the website) that talks about CGM and the benefits of it: http://www.icyou.com/topics/diseases-conditions/benefits-continuous-glucose-monitoring+

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Scott K. Johnson said...

Being a little fish in a big pond, I don't know what the best way would be. But I've sent the request to the big "O". :-)

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home