LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Thursday, April 23, 2009

The six million Peso diabetic

I was moving dishes off the table and into the dishwasher. One of our favorite pastimes is the classic dinner party with just a few close friends.

“Good Lord,” said my friend Laura, “what is all that crap on your belt? You look like the bionic man.”

A few days before, I had a quick snack with one of my diabetic sisters. She looked the Navigator with interest, but flatly stated she’d never wear one. “Look at the size of that thing! It’s a monster!”

Leaving the restaurant, a cell phone sales man stopped me to ask what the heck it was. He’d thought it was some sort of GPS and Phone. Actually it is sort of a GPS, it tells us our Global Position in our blood sugar.

Well, the device is big. And it is a pain. Literally. I’ve got a bruise on my stomach from the top of the cleaver articulated clip. I’ve worn Guardian for years, both with a pump and pumpless with no trouble.

Navigator: 0. Guardian: 1.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott S said...

I like the metaphor "The Six Million PESO" Diabetic! It seems quite fitting!!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Great post. Great images. Love the "Actually it is sort of a GPS, it tells us our Global Position in our blood sugar."
Nice.

Keep up the good work. Love the blog.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home