LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy T-Day D-Folk

Rio’s home work was to write a very short story about his favorite part of Thanksgiving.

He was totally stressed out. “But I like all of it,” he objected, as his Mother pushed him to focus in on just a few things.

Debbie and Rio. Two forces of nature, if there ever where a pair.

I stepped in to save my son, well, just tell me a few of the things you like, I told him. I expected turkey, stuffing, or pumpkin pie.

His little face scrunched up as he concentrated. “Well….”

Well?

Then the damn burst, “Well, I’m thankful for the planet,” said Rio. “And for the sun. And for water. And for my family. And for my teachers.”

And I was blown away. This is one deep thinking kindergartner. Then, slowly, with great effort he began to write. “So how do you spell ‘thankful?’” he asked.


Debbie and I exchanged smiles. Is it one ‘l’ or two? I hissed under my breath, spell-check having totally destroyed what limited spelling skill I had in the first place. One letter at a time, my little guy started writing his first story, carrying on a family tradition of writing that goes back more generations than we can count.

Boy, am I proud. And thankful. In fact, I have much to be thankful for.

I’m thankful for Rio, and Debbie, and all the people whose orbits intersect mine. I’m thankful for where I live (both small scale and large scale).

And I’m thankful for diabetes. Yes, you heard that right. I’m very thankful for diabetes. And no, I haven’t lost my fricken mind.

Without diabetes I’d be less healthy. Now I think about what I put into my body.

Without diabetes I wouldn’t have had the pleasure of ‘meeting’ all of you.

Without diabetes I wouldn’t have an interesting job that lets me help people every day of the week.

Without diabetes, what would I have to write about?

Yes, I have many blessings in my life, and diabetes is one of them. Without diabetes, I would not have found my calling.

And for that, I am thankful.

Oh, and the planet, the sun, and water are all pretty great too.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice sentiments.I can't wait til my son feels that way and gets it. My mom, a nurse, says a chronic condition usually makes someone take care of themselves better. Happy Thanksgiving.

8:55 AM  
Blogger AmyT said...

Happy Turkey Day, Wil.
And congrats on your book!!

:) AmyT

12:27 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann Thill said...

I'm thankful for diabetes too, so you aren't the only one. Happy Thanksgiving!

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home