LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Friday, October 19, 2007

Not the world we grew up in

So I picked Rio up from kindergarten. Tell me about your day.

“We had a fire drill,” he told me. “We all lined up and left the building. Then we practiced a Code Blue.”

Code Blue?

“Yeah, it’s if someone breaks into the school or something. We all have to hide under our desks and not make even peep of sound. And the teacher locks the door and closes the windows.”

Christ, what’s the world come to? Kindergarteners rehearse for school shootings. A wave of mixed emotions wash over me. I’m glad they have a system in place and practice; I’m sickened that they need too.

I’ve remained silent too long. “Daddy?”

Hmmmmmmm?

“Do they have Code Blue’s at the clinic?”

Yes, but we call them Code Blacks. I recall sitting on the floor, doors locked, blinds down, pondering the likely lack of bullet resistance of my office walls.

“Well…. Well that’s confusing. Why would they call a Code Blue a Code Black? That doesn’t make any sense.”

Well, in medicine, when someone has a heart attack we call it a Code Blue. So we had to pick another color for lock downs.

“Well, I think everyone should call them Code Blues so little kids don’t get confused.”

I say a quick prayer for all children everywhere, and then we drive on in silence.

“Isn’t Friday a good day for ice cream?” asks Rio.

Indeed it is. I can think of nothing I’d like better at this moment than to share a cherry dipped ice cream cone at DQ with my little son.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Wil said...

Comment spam removed!

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the cold war drills we had in the 60s. Unfortunate reality of the world we live in. Good time to have ice cream.

1:50 PM  
Blogger RichW said...

As usual Rio's right. The rest of the world is screwed up. At this rate Rio could be president by the time he's 16. I think I'd vote for him.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home