LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Has the ADA abandoned us?

It was support group time. “How many of you belong to the American Diabetes Association?” I asked.

No hands were raised.

Huh.

“How many of you use to belong?”

Every hand in the room went up, including mine.

All the ADA does in my state is have diabetes walks to raise money. At the clinic we can’t even get their help with education materials.

Maybe it’s time for a new organization to represent us.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I showed up about 45 minutes after my local walk ended and the only reminder that it had even occurred was one lonely red balloon. Yeah, I think they have abandoned us.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

The ADA hired a Texas telemarketing firm which has been calling me several time a day, and been very nasty when told to stop calling.

I looked them up. The State of Washington list of charities reveals that this telemarketer keep s66% of all the money they raise.

They seem to have gotten my phone number from the ADA since I contributed a while ago.

SHAME!!!

Plus, of course, the way the ADA has lobbied for years against lowering blood sugar targets and their toxic recommendation, still, of the HIGH CARB diet for people with diabetes.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said...

Definitely

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did receive some good materials regarding schools, students and discrimination. Now let's see whether they will provide an attorney...

2:16 PM  
Blogger Scott S said...

First and foremost, the ADA is not now and never has been a patient organization (no matter what they claim) it has always been a doctors' organization, and one whose loyalty to the diabetes community seems questionable. Its a shame, but as others have noted, the ADA seems willing to partner with almost anyone (why, for example, does the ADA logo appear on Log Cabin Syrup?) rather than being selective about the partnerships they form. For that reason, many patients have abandoned them.

I also received some telemarketing calls from the ADA, and I told them that I would help, and promptly threw the stuff they sent me in the trash. Sorry, my fundraising is for JDRF only.

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was diagnosed with type 1 almost four years ago, my mother immediately signed up for one of the automatic monthly donation plans to the ADA, and she was signed up for some sort of e-mail newsletter in the process. After only about a couple of months of the newsletter, she was disgusted by the organization (mostly by the endorsements, I think) and called to cancel the donation plan. (She switched over to a monthly donation to JDRF.) THEN the ADA kept heckling her with phone calls to start donating again! Needless to say, she didn't give them any more money.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Sara, oh dear, that is so depressing! I completely agree with everyone else's statements. ADA seems more focused on just taking care of type 2 diabetics than helping type 1 diabetics or finding a cure. I understand that's also important, but they shouldn't fundraise for a cure if they money won't go there! I tell almost everyone family with diabetes to get involved with JDRF. While it isn't perfect, it's a hell of a lot more focused on its priorities!

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home