LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Yo Hablo Medtronic

No wonder none of us can talk to each other! Here’s Printcrafter’s translation guide for CoZmo users wanting to learn MedSpeak.

IOB (insulin on board) = active insulin

Combo Bolus = Dual Wave

Extended Bolus = Square Wave

Load = rewind

Fill canaula = Fixed prime

Insulin to carb ratio = Carb Ratio

This really boggles the mind. Am I just use to the CoZmo terms, or are they better? Why, when MedT was first to market, do they have all the crappy syntax?

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I'm familiar with MedT terms simply because they are so common in various message boards, but I do think Cozmo terms are more straightforward too. Rewind? It's not a VCR, ya know. Prime is medical terminology, as I'm sure you know, for IV tubing and such, so that one makes sense, but I would think for the average used "Fill tubing" and "Fill cannula" makes more sense.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Wendy Morgan said...

This is so funny. I understand IOB, but I don't understand either combo bolus OR Square Wave. I am a MedT user, but these terms are obviously not very intuative.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Pearlsa said...

If I remember correctly I was told by one of the reps when I was pump shopping that the companies use different terms due to legal issues.

Active insulin, Dual Wave and Square Wave all are intellectual properties of MedT. And cannot be used by the other Pump companies. Also for another pump company to have a meter talk to their pump they will need to come up with a new way than the way MedT and CoZmo does it unless they want a law suite.

What we as patients need to do is demand that they be a basic standard for all pumps, or just like Brand versus Generic drug all the pump technology should be licensed for X Number of years after which another company can use it.

If not we stand the risk of one company hold all the card and prices not really coming down as we all hope.

Although a cure will surely make all this obsolete!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Bernard said...

Wil

That's easy. Because the device makers are mostly concerned with reliability and basic functionality.

They never consider the user experience. So what we see is a kind of engineering speak that no-one has taken the time to translate into normal vocabulary.

Sigh. These folks have a long, long way to go.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home