LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Friday, December 15, 2006

“V” isn’t always for Victory

One cherry slice.

Fifteen minutes. It is dark and cold. The wind is howling outside. It is a little after two in the morning.

Second cherry slice, plus a half left over. My emergency jar on the bed stand is now empty.

Fifteen minutes. The girl woke me up thirty minutes ago to warn me that the correction bolus had gone awry. The damn cookie buffet at the church concert had parked me at 400 BGL at bed time. It was now three hours later and I still have 3.95 units in play.

The fifteen minutes are up and I do a finger stick. I’m at 50. And dropping.

I’ve long believed that IQ and BLG are linked on the low end. The cave-man panic sets in as I make my bleary eyed way through the dark house to the kitchen.

Three spoonfuls of honey. Then I spy the white-chocolate covered Oreos. After two of those I drink a glass of milk. I know that on some level I am over-compensating, but in the heat of the fear all I want to do is stop this hypo in it’s tracks and get all the evil insulin out of my blood. I’ll trade the re-bound high for the comfort of knowing I’ll wake in the morning.

Next comes a packet of Rio’s Scooby Snacks, followed by a bowl of cereal. And another glass of milk. I throw a few more units of insulin on the fire for the hell of it and crawl pack into bed.

The high alarm isn’t long in coming.

In the morning I down-load the girl to look at the curve. A beautiful, perfect “V.” A terrify one hour drop from 400 to hypo; and a perfectly symmetrical mirror image curve shooting back up to 400 again. Looks like a steep valley caved by an ancient flood. Not all Vs stand for Victory.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Wil,

I'm so very in touch with that fear during a low. I can not understand how people have the discipline to just sit and wait for their carbs to kick in.

I often panic, and over treat, under bolus my over treatment treats, then start seeing those V's on my graphs too.

The nighttime lows are the worst for me.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said...

Look, we are only human! Those hypos can scare the hell out of you, and as you put it, isn't it better to know you will get up the next morning. The rollercoaster ride is horrible, but all of us Ds have been on them.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for such an important post. Sometimes at our pump support group there will be a person who claims he just eats 2 or 3 glucose tabs and that's all for treating a low. Most of us just look at one another almost in disbelief. But each person finds what works best for that person.

My loved one needs to eat until he feels better. I respect that and understand until the glucose hits the brain, he needs to keep eating. I wish he'd wake me so I could help. Maybe it's easier to not have someone near by? It just seems so lonely to be in the kitchen in the middle of the night trying to get rid of that low feeling.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home