LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Sunday, August 20, 2006

A sad and awkward moment....

Diabetes is such an intense daily struggle that I sometimes forget I'm relatively new to the party. It feels like I've been diabetic foreeeeeever. But one of my loved ones, against all odds, remembers how things used to be not all that many years ago.

I had just taken some cherry slices after a low alarm when Rio told me, "I miss my old Daddy."

Huh?

I tilted his head gently upwards, my index finger under his tiny chin. "What do you mean, baby?" I asked him.

He looked up at me sadly, with his mother's eyes, and said "I miss my old Daddy. The one who didn't have diabetes."

6 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Wow - what a moment...

I'm not sure if I could have held myself together with that.

And you are wise beyond your "diabetic years" my friend. That is for sure.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That brought me to tears. I can relate when life was simpler for my son 4 years ago when he was 12, it kind of took away the carefree days. We looking forward to getting the RT enhanced pump.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Wil,
Just stopped by to say good article in the Medtronic Connection newsletter.

Hope all is going well for you in your new position.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Bernard said...

Wil

How are you doing these days? You've not posted in a while, I hope all is well with you.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wil.

Hope you and your family are ok.

Ellen

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is funny, interesting and informative. Best stuff I've read in a while. I'm 37 and been a diabetic since 1989. Not in good control, never have been A1c's are always around 7 or 8. Your blog and others are an inspiration to keep going to the gym. I'm waiting for the cgm that tells you whether your sugars on the way up or down. That one I'll spend whatever the cost. Hope you post again soon.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home