LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

But does it brew coffee?

I was intrigued with my visiting brother-in-law's new cell phone. Well, I'm not sure it is fair to call it a cell phone. Here is what this tiny marvel can do. It can check email. Or mobile web sites. It plays MP3's with tiny little stereo speakers or with a head set. It has a built-in digital still camera and a video camera. There is an alarm clock, a calendar, and a calculator. He can text message and download videos from the internet. There is a flashlight, GPS capability, games and Blue Tooth. Did I mention you can make phone calls on this thing? Wow. It is like Buck Rogers’ Swiss Army knife! A blend of phone, PDA, and lap top. Everything you need to survive in the modern world. All in the front pocket of his shirt.

It does not, however, pump insulin.

My mother turns 80 tomorrow. So we kids, spouses, and off-spring are converging on Denver to celebrate. I'll be off line until next weekend, too much hassle trying to find wireless Hot-spots and I don't even know how to configure my lap top for Mom’s dial-up AOL connection.

I know a few of you will probably get withdrawal, so here's a suggestion. Go to the November Archives and read the whole thing again. That should take you until the weekend, and then I'll be
back. ;-)

So I'm heading north, but leaving you with a brief preview. I've been doing some more deep thinking about the role of test strips, hyper management, and other goodies in the new continuous universe. I've got some stuff that you just do not want to miss, but I haven't quite got it "on paper" yet. Ya' gotta promise to come back. See you either Sunday or Monday.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kerri. said...

Have a safe trip, Wil, and enjoy the birthday party!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

Yes Wil, do have a safe trip and enjoy your family! It's great that you still have her!

7:21 AM  
Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Have a wonderful trip, Wil!

Your brief hiatus gives me a chance to catch up on all of the posts I missed while I was away...

9:27 AM  
Blogger Wil said...

Sandra--I hope your caught up, 'cause I'm about to dive in again!

K & K--many thanks!

Ellen--I'll pass that on to my mother. You're so sweet! She's gonna love it!

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home