LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Saturday, December 24, 2005

#$%&@&% test strips!!!

My pump alarm just went off, vibrating insistently on my hip. Two hours post meal. I slip the vial of test strips and the lancer out of their case, pull out one test strip and slip it into the meter slot on the back of the pump. Double check the code number, cold blue glowing on the screen. Lucky13 for this batch. Cock the lancer, choose and finger and SNAP. Give a little squeeze for the blood, touch the edge of the test strip to the blood dot...ZIPPPPP... it sucks it in. A few seconds later I have the reading: 250. Son of a bitch!

And today was going so well. Must 'a been the damn potato chips. Potatoes always give me trouble, but at the butcher shop yesterday they had Poor Brother's chips. I couldn't resist. My folks use to have a place in Arizona, the chips are a local product we use to eat at the Desert Museum out on the west side of Tucson. Extra-crispy-crunchy. I haven't seen them for years. Like I said, I couldn't resist. Then to make things worse, I had a tortilla burger for dinner.

Should 'a had either the chips or had the burger patty without the tortilla. I'll never learn. Looks like a correction bolus is in order. But first let's see what the girl says.

Click: 170.

Damn! That's more than a little bit off. I expect the Guardian to lag a little on the up swing, but 32%?? Grrrrrrrrr.....Well, better double check that BG before taking insulin. It is ten o'clock at night. We don't want too much. Nice to know the low alarm works, but let's not push the envelope.

Vial out. Strip into meter. Code 13. Rub finger on jeans for luck and good capillary blood flow. SNAP. Squeeze. ZIPPPPP. It reads: 203. Wha?? OK, best two of three.

Vial. Strip. Code. SNAP. ZIPPPP. BG: 180. Oh for God's sake!

I give up. If the test strips can’t agree, why not go with the Guardian’s reading? 170 is only modestly high for post two hour. I’ve still got insulin on board. I’m going to bed!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I relate to that! Chips (and potatoes in general) give me problems, too. I dearly miss my mashed potatoes. It's so hard to resist them, but they always seem to sneak into my blood glucose at a random time.

2:57 AM  
Blogger Wil said...

....and so many wonderful things are made from potatoes! I also have to try to use my brain to over-ride 40+ years of non-diabetic eating habbits. I KNOW what to do, but...Well you know how it is.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home